Learn to climb in the Red Rock! This climbing mecca is just minutes from downtown Las Vegas. With its warm weather and spectacular sandstone, the Red Rock offers some of the best beginner terrain in the country. The Mountain Guides has nearly 40 years of experience, guiding and instructing clients in every discipline of rock climbing. Offering courses for the beginner to advanced climber, TMG can also design special programs for corporate groups, schools, or private clubs.
Season Year Round
If you have never climbed or just want to brush up your basic skills, this class is for you. During this introduction to rock climbing you will learn basic climbing terminology and commands, knots, belay and rope skills, be introduced to protection and anchor systems and learn the fundamentals of climbing technique and movement. Once you experience life in the vertical world, you will be hooked!
Designed for the experienced climber, this course will prepare you for lead and multi-pitch climbing while teaching techniques for “working” difficult routes, more advanced climbing movement and other advanced climbing skills.
Introduction to Climbing: Price: $390 private; $240pp for 2 people; $185pp for 3 people; $160pp for 4 people and $140pp for a party of 5+.
Half-day of single pitch climbing + half-day of multi pitch climbing (maximum-2 participants): $400 private; $270pp for 2 people.
Because of scheduling, these classes cannot be booked online. Please click here to inquire about specific dates and pricing for your class.
Please note that trips must reach minimum # of people.
Please read through our policies by visiting this page.
- Sticky Rubber Approach Shoes (highly recommended as most approaches involve a lot of slick rock), running shoes or hiking shoes: Guide Pick: Scarpa Gecko
- Technical Rock Shoes (Available for rent)
- Socks: 1 pair – preferably wool
- Synthetic T-shirt – Guide Pick: Men’s Wicked Tech™ Recycled Short Sleeve T-Shirt
- Sun Hoody – Guide Pick:Men’s AirMesh™ Hoody
- Fleece or lightweight down sweater – Guide Pick: Men’s Stretchdown™ Light Pullover
- Lightweight Wind Shell – Guide Pick: Men’s Kor Preshell™ Hoody
- One extra expedition weight upper layer or another jacket if November- mid March
- Synthetic Climbing Pant – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Super Chockstone Pant
- 30-40 Liter – Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Summitrocket 30
- Sun Hat – Baseball of full brimmed
- Water – Water bottles or hydration bladder
- (May-Sept) Minimum 3 Liters
- (Nov-April) Minimum 2 Liters
- Food: Energy Bars, fruit, sandwiches, trail mix. Bring Enough!
- Sunscreen/ Lip balm
- Headlamp (For long routes)
- Warm Weather – (May-Sept) The sun is intense and hydration is vital!. Hydrate the night before your climb/ hike. Consider freezing your water bottles or putting ice in them. Light colored and loose fitting clothes will help keep you cool.
- Cold Weather – (Nov-April) Bring gloves and a warm hat that will fit under your helmet. Bring extra layers like long underwear and a heavier winter jacket to keep warm when the sun ducks behind clouds of dips below the canyon walls.
Jackson Hole Mountain Guides supplies all the rock climbing gear, harnesses, helmets, locking carabiners & belay/rappel devices. However, you are welcome to bring your own equipment. Please contact our office for gear questions. Rock shoes can be rented at JHMG.
For a printable version of this list, please click below:VIEW PDF
We meet our guests at the West end of Las Vegas. 11720 West Charleston blvd. The Las Vegas Airport is the closest and cheapest airport we recommend to clients. If you have any questions or would like more information, please call our Las Vegas office at 702-659-9255 or email Redrock@themountainguides.comVIEW PDF
Is Red Rock a State Park or a National Park?
Do I have to pay a fee to get into Red Rock?
Does JHMG provide transportation and will you pick us up and drop us off back down on the Strip?
How far is Red Rock from the Strip?
Is it always hot and sunny in Red Rock?
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with TMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.