Tune up your rescue skills with an AIARE Avalanche Rescue Course from The Mountain Guides Colorado. This eight hour course contains the latest in rescue techniques. During this course, we start with the basics of companion rescue and expand to more advanced topics. Whatever experience you bring, our instructors will push you to the next level.
Each participant will have the opportunity to receive professional coaching on their rescue skills and will receive a rescue card acknowledging completion date at course end.
Anyone who travels in avalanche terrain should keep their skills current by taking an Avalanche Rescue Course every other year. This course is a prerequisite for the AIARE 2 and Professional Level 1 Avalanche Courses.
- Train backcountry travelers in Avalanche Rescue skills
- Increase participant likelihood of survival in an avalanche
- Emphasize that education and avoiding getting caught in an avalanche is the best plan; rescue is a backup in case everything goes wrong.
- Provide skills, practice methods for proficiency at the Avalanche Rescue standard
- Promote a culture of routine avalanche rescue practice and attendance of an Avalanche Rescue course every two years
Meet in Classroom
- 8:30-8:40 Intro and Course Logistics
- 8:40-9:10 Intro to Avalanche Rescue
- 9:10-10:00 PPE, Avalanche Gear, Packing
- 10:00-11:00 Travel to field
- 11:00-11:20 Departure Check
- 11:20-12:20 Rescue Skills Breakdown
- 12:20-12:45 Single Burial Scenarios
- 12:45-1:30 Advanced Topics
- 1:30-2:30 Scenario Practice and Assessment
- 2:30-3:30 Patient Considerations and Evac
- 3:30-4:30 Course Close
- Top Long Sleeve Synthetic: medium to expedition weight long underwear Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Butterman 1/2 zip
- Soft Shell or Fleece Jacket Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear 32 Degree Jacket
- Shell Jacket with hood. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Cloudseeker Jacket
- Puffy Jacket: Hood Recommended. Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Ghostwhisperer Jacket
- Bottom Synthetic or Wool Long Underwear Bottoms Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Butterman Tight
- Shell Pant: full side zips and built-in gaiters Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Highball Pant
- Socks: Synthetic or wool. Sized for your boots and blister protection. Liners recommended.
HEAD AND HANDS
- Gloves 3 pair: 1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy pair Guide Pick: Mountain Hardwear Cyclone GTX Glove
- Hat: medium weight ski hat
- Hat: baseball or visor for sun
- Buff/neck gaiter
- Back Pack: 30 to 40 Liter ski pack, Guide Pick: Mammut Pro Short Removable Airbag System Backpack
- Water & Food: Thermos or insulated water bottles are best. Lot’s of snacks.
- Sunglasses/ Sunglass Case
- Ski Goggles
- Extra Prescription Glasses/Contact Lens
- Sunscreen/Lip balm
- Headlamp-Extra batteries
SKI/SNOWBOARD EQUIPMENT FOR THE BACKCOUNTRY (Packages available for rent at JHMG)
- Boots: Alpine Touring, Telemark, or Snowboarding Boots
- Skis or Splitboard with compatible binding for boots
- Climbing Skins (fit to skis)
- Ski Poles
- Helmet (optional)
SNOW SAFETY EQUIPMENT (REQUIRED and available for rent at JHMG)
- Transceiver Guide Pick:Mammut Barryvox S
- Shovel Guide Pick: Mammut Alugator Twist shove
- Probe Guide Pick: Mammut Fastlock Probe 240
As the signature sponsor of our AIARE Level 1 and Level 2 courses, all students enrolled will be able to test and demo all Mammut safety equipment for the duration of their course for no charge. Students who elect to take advantage of this program will be expected to fill out a review of the equipment they demo. Once submitted, they will receive a discount code for %15 off any full-priced Mammut airbag, beacon, shovel or probe.
Talk To Us
Here you’ll find online tools and information about joining us for a trip of a lifetime! To sign up for a trip, or if you have any questions, please call us. Listed on the left side of these pages are links that you may find useful, including printable forms and policies concerning a trip with JHMG. We encourage ALL prospective climbers to read our Preparation advice. Our office can help place you with others who are looking to climb.